More selected projects

 

Tiny Shipping Container House Deck - Living Tiny Project Ep. 023 Part 4

Here we are, talking about the wooden deck again. By now you must be tired of listen to us talking about this. But it’s really hard to work relying on the weather, it has been whether raining or really really hot. We spent one week painting 2 coats of stain on all the woods. That’s because we painted them inside the container, otherwise they would be outside getting all the rain. In order to paint all the woods we needed to divide them into 2 groups and we spent at least 2 days painting each group. I say at least 2 days because some days were raining a lot, with lightning and thunder and it wasn’t possible for us to stay inside the container. So, we stayed at home working: editing, posting, projecting…

With the painting done the weather got better, there was no more rain, and then it was time to start fixing the second part of the wooden deck on place. The days we worked installing the decking were really really really hot and it was hard to stay at the top of the shipping container for too long. So we needed to install some lumbers and to take a break. Also the drilling machine ran out of battery every let me say 7 lines of the decking that we install. It’s annoying when it happens and we need to stop doing what we are doing to recharge the batteries and it slow us down.

What we did different from the installation of the first part of the wooden deck was the way we fill the top of the screws. Some of our subscribers said that white glue would go out with the rain, and they were right. White glue is not the best material to use in a area that will be exposed to the rain. When it rains the glue get wet and it won’t be good, soon the screws are going to be corroded. So, we decided to use wood filler instead of white glue. But since the beginning I didn’t like the appearance of this one. It is white and even though we still need to paint the last coat of stain on the woods the white filler won’t be in the same color of the wood. In my opinion, the appearance of this is terrible. After having already done a great part I discovered that there is a dye that I could have used with the mass, but it was already late.

Then, we had another thing that slowed us down: the fact that we decided to exchange all the bichromated screws for stainless steel. We thought covering the bicromated we wouldn't have any problem of corroding the screws, but after installing some we noticed that we could have some water accumulating between the joist and the lumber of the decking and that could create corrosion of the screws that connect both of them. So, as I said, we decided to exchange all the screws. The stainless steel is almost 4 times the price of the stainless steel. But, if we needed to exchange the bichromated every 2 years or something like that, it’s gonna be more expensive than buying the stainless steel right away.

The other thing we changed was the way of leaving a gap in between the lumbers. We were using a screwdriver to mark the space we wanted to leave in between the woods, but it wasn’t that accurate. So, we decided to use a better spacer and we used 2 pieces of the container wall, measuring 5x5 centimeters, attached together with tape, this way we could get a more more precisely measurement between the lines of the decking.

Until we finish this episode we still needed to finish the last 7 lines of the wooden deck of the west container and to exchange some screws.

We have been really tired of working under the sun but on the other hand we are sooooo excited that we have sooooo little to finally finish installing the wooden deck. Next week we need to finish the last lines and to buy, cut, sand and paint all the wood for the finishings of the wooden deck: fascia board and soffit.

We're very excited to see the finished deck !!!

See you!!

Roberta